If you are a junior in high school right now, it’s definitely time to start thinking about your college visits – a perfect time to see what a school you might be considering is really like without solely relying on their website or brochure. With all of the colleges out there, how do you begin to narrow your college search? Check back with our blog frequently (or better yet-sign up to get our blog sent straight to your email), as we will be posting things we have observed on our most recent college visits.
Today, the KaMi Spotlight is on California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO).
5 Things You Might Know:
• A sprawling campus with a bustling, small-town feel.
• A Division 1 school in the Big West Conference.
• Enrollment as of October 2015 was 20,944 students (undergrad and graduate).
• Estimated cost to attend for California residents for the 2016-2017 school year is $26,139.
• The average time to graduate is 4 years and 1 quarter.
5 Things You Might Not Know About SLO:
• The motto at Cal Poly SLO is “Learn by Doing”.
• The campus has 2 climbing walls and a bowling alley.
•The library is 5 stories tall-making it the tallest building in all of San Luis Obispo.
• The College of Engineering is the biggest college but Cal Poly also has an extensive Ag Department.
• The biggest sport is Soccer, and Cal Poly’s main rival is UCSB.
Although Cal Poly SLO is a California State University, its requirements for admission are slightly more stringent than other State schools. Cal Poly seems to balance education and athletics, offering numerous opportunities to participate and be active and involved.
- San Luis Obispo Must-Do Bucket List…before you GRADUATE! (calpolybucketlist.wordpress.com)
- 5 reasons every new student needs the Cal Poly app on their phone (secretsofslo.wordpress.com)